PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dannatt and Page
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2010, 23:55
Ivan Rogov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just watched it and thought there were some broad key points which should have been discussed more fully, i.e.:

- The defence budget is not there to provide UK jobs.
- Too many people in desk support roles, and many not suitably qualified or remaining in post long enough.
- The defence budget is large; the problem is it is just squandered.
- The procurement process is incestuous and doesn't provide VFM.

However very poor examples were used in most cases which meant that the key points were lost with sensationalised, tabloid facts.

- We should have Blackhawks because of a unique minefield incident. If the Chinook had been allowed to use its winch? A medium lift helo requirement needs broader justification, even if we agree.
- MRA4 in service would have prevented a crash, untrue as it was an issue with how we ran airworthiness.
- Buy the same kit the SF use for every one. Much of it is not suited to general use, in fact much is deliberately brought for niche roles.
- We should have F-16s in the mid 90's not Typhoon, no comparison. Now if he had said F-15s, but he didn't!
- BAE had the highest cost overruns and all those over £1 billion. He then points out that they handle the largest projects, so it is obvious these will incur the highest overruns.
- Wildcat is too small for the Army. It's not too small for what they say they want it for, again back to the medium lift justification.
- Tried the us and them tactic by pointing out how much senior officers wasted on houses etc. The figures were very small in relation to the issues, and reallocating one Sgt from the Generals house to the front line won't help.
- Waste on school fees because HM Forces move often. He didn't offer an alternative so our kids should move schools possibly every 2 or 3 years?
- And there were more.

Do we think if we brought "off the peg" we would get more of what we want? No we would just get a smaller budget, still be short of kit and get the very cheapest answer. The politicians have to take much of the blame and I trust none of them, they always want to cut out a little more. Anyone in the military knows a piece of kit they would like to use, but will never get as it will be deemed over spec. we are only allowed to buy kit to do the specified task with no flexibility to cover contingencies, hence the mass of UORs. I'm all for buying off the peg if it allows us to get more out of what we buy; VFM shouldn't just be the cheapest.

No doubt I have probably “Paged” this by quoting half truths and rumour!