PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nine Dead in Fox Glacier Crash, New Zealand
Old 21st Sep 2010, 22:23
Cypher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having done jump pilot work on both sides of the Tasman, I can say that there is a real difference between the two industries.

Yes in Oz, there was a lot more larking around, keys out of the ignition, general disregard of VMC/IMC drops through cloud, pressure often from the jumpmaster and DZ owner and general overall it felt like a amateur industry. I'm sure there are exceptions to this in Oz.

While in NZ working as a drop pilot, I found the complete opposite. Tandem masters took their work seriously and only larked about in the hangar, nowhere near the aircraft or while airborne. IMC conditions were to be avoided religiously, lest the pilot got beat up by the jump master once they got down on the ground. I've seen a load of tandem masters once on the ground go to work on a pilot who took them IMC. They all knew too well the risks of flying IMC without the proper training and equipment. (This was around the Taupo DZs)
Sure there probably will be exceptions as well in NZ, but in my time in the parachute industry, I had yet to see a "cowboy operator" in NZ. Maybe its something to do with the fact that all involved with the majority of drop operations in NZ are PAID positions including pilots.

To be honest, you cannot compare the Australian Parachute Industry to the NZ Parachute industry because I believe there is a huge difference between the two, IMO...