PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tue 14sep2010 on BBC 2: Battle of Britain "First Light" Docudrama...
Old 21st Sep 2010, 22:13
JonnyT1978

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, I must say that I thought both the 'First Light' and McGregor programmes were superb. Perhaps a little too much love interest in First Light but the flying sequences were great and the whole concept of Wellum narrating it in retrospect worked very well. The flying sequences in the McGregor programme were particularly stunning and I shall have to review them on HD iPlayer to see them in their full glory.

I'm less sure about Bungay to be honest. As a modern history graduate (blowing my trumpet a little) and especially one with a keen interest in WW2 and the build up to it, the omission of Leigh-Mallory to the merit of Bader was a glaring one that he should have really been concerned about if he was putting his name to the programme, given the accepted wisdom.

To me he reminded me very much of BBC economics prophet of doom Robert Peston which was not a good sign.

It also annoys me that these programmes never mention the reason for the RAF raid on Berlin that prompted Hitler to order Goering to change tactics; namely the accidental bombing of Hackney, Islington etc on the night of 24th August. This accident has been attibuted to the bomber's navigators becoming lost or disorientated but nonetheless it was this that prompted WSC to order the bombing of Berlin the following night. Strange how all modern documentaries neglect this fact when the BoB film got it right all thosr years ago...