PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged Keratoconus thread
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2010, 19:37
zondaracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The FAA does not disqualify for Keratoconus. If you are a legal resident but a Mexican citizen, you can still fly for an airline in the US.

Concerning the Keratoconus, the FAA will test you to make sure that you can see 20/40, with OR without correction. They don´t really care if you wear glasses or contacts or not, just that you can see 20/40 IN EACH EYE SEPARATELY.

Next, they don´t actually have to know that you have Keratoconus. I´m not advocating anything but you can PM me if you have further questions. I would ask the doctors who did your C3R if the C3R procedure can be detected by a slit lamp.

As far as the training, go to a local place near your home and shop around and take a look at the airplanes, talk to the owner and the people who work there and the other students and see what place works best for you. no need to go to a ¨flying academy¨ or anything like that. In the US, the airlines don´t care where you got your training, they care if you have lots of hours, the right personality, and that you can fly and make the right decisions. If one of those flying academy places is for you, then by all means go to one, but pick a place that fits you. most importantly, DON´T PAY UPFRONT.

As far as scholarships, they don´t exist in aviation in the US for the most part. There are some rare scholarships out there like the Daedalian Scholarship which are given to Air Force cadets who are exceptional but it is rare and hard to come by.

The approximate cost will vary depending where you go, but you can figure that if you are going to get your Commercial/Instrument Single engine and Multi Engine Airplane Land ratings, it will cost you close to $45,000 to $60,000 depending where you get your training and how efficient you are/motivated.

Best of luck.

Last edited by zondaracer; 21st Sep 2010 at 19:43. Reason: to add