PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Groundschool
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2010, 11:42
MDHAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wilco.xmg

Firstly I would question whether a gap year from Uni will enhance your employability? I would have thought it would look better on your CV if you finish what you started first and show commitment to completing the course (the way you had written it suggests that you've started Uni and are taking a break rather than a gap year before or after? Apologies if I have got this wrong)

Im also assuming that you mean in your gap year you intend to do the ground school and PPL which you will complete by summer, then go back to Uni after this?

On that note I would suggest:
First of all you take a trail flight/lesson at your local club to make sure you actually like flying.
Then get your medical. If you are planning on going commercial get a class 1, if you are just flying for fun get a class 2.
If you get a class 1 it will need renewing after a year. However, if you are going to Uni for a year or three you can then continue to fly on the class 2 without the expense of renewal (unless youre over 40/45?) until the time comes to start your commercial training (where you will need the class 1).
The reason I'd suggest getting the Class1 first, I would say is pretty obvious, but too be clear, get the class 1 so that you know you are medically fit enough to be a pilot before spending any (more) money.

Once you have this begin a course. From there the school will direct you in the best order to do the exams, and most peoples experiences follow the same (or similar) pattern.
Generally these follow the actual hands on learning.
Firstly you'll need to read up on the exercises before each lesson (and id recommend after), then you will need to pass Airlaw before going solo.
Next get the communications exam (this will help when you're in the circuit and when you start the cross country).
Next, do the Meteorology (whilst building your circuit hours).
Then, as you start the cross country flying do the Navigation exam (this will be easier as you can apply what you read to your flying actually getting the hands on experience will help digest what you read)
Then, I wouldnt say its too important which order you do the remaining three exams, but obviously you need them passed before the skills test.

Once you have completed your skills test, take the RT exam and submit the application for your PPL and Radio Licence at the same time (saves a few quid).
Also consider when taking the exams you only have a certain amount of time between passing them and applying for your licence before you have to take them again, I cant remember the exact details on this but if you visit the CAA website or look up Lasors you will find the answers.

Im sure there are many other posts on PPRUNE asking similar questions so may be worth searching for some of these to see other answers/opinions.

Regards