PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nick Xenophon - The most important person in the future of Australian Aviation
Old 21st Sep 2010, 11:29
gobbledock

Location: Alabama, then Wyoming, then Idaho and now staying with Kharon on Styx houseboat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't worry TG, just the lads letting off some steam and a bit of pent up testosterone, it happens.
The real villains are the CEO's and/or senior managers in today's aviation environment. The good ol days when people like Reg Ansett worked and breathed the business and was hands on are gone. (please do not turn this thread into an Ansett bashing, I am using Reg as an example, and yes, I know he wasn't perfect).

Today's CEO has limited vision that sits within a small field - $$$$.
They don't understand what constitutes real risk, they are experts at reactive management only, they don't listen to the experts within their organisation, rather they prefer to listen to their bank accounts creak and groan under sufficient weight, they are happy to attain to minimum safety benchmarks and pissweak entry control standards rather than strive to achieve a higher level of safety with higher benchmarks and goals.

I guess the upside to all this is that in this modern day and age responsibility can be delegated, but not accountability. So if a large aicraft does pancake itself eventually with loss of life I will look forward to seeing the look on the accountable CEO's face as he stares down the barrell of a jail sentence !