PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qualities of a Good Training Captain
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2010, 19:30
411A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd bet you learned all that in the marines. Didn't ya?
No, sorry, The Range, you would lose that 'bet', never in the Marines, nor any other branch of the military.
However, I was at SQ in the early days, flying (in Command) the B707 airplane, and I watched, first hand, these methods applied, with very good success.
Brand new First Officers taught by quite experienced (no nonsense) training Captains, in exactly the methods I have outlined.
And, what's more, it certainly worked for them, as SQ have had only one fatal accident in the intervening years, to date...in spite of a huge increase in their fleet, flying to far more international destinations than what many 'new guys' here could ever contemplate, never mind attain.
The B707 (advanced cowl, and older designs) were far more difficult to fly accuately) , than new(er) types.
B737 and A320...kiddie cars by comparasion.
When I received a brand new First Officer, on the line, just out of training at SQ, they could fly the airplane very well indeed, normally without my saying a word.
This was due, in large part, to Capt SK (Charlie) Chan's insistance on...training to proficiency, without exception.