PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arik Air Pilots-Union Thread.
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2010, 17:46
Oba1kanobe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if a chairman is needed quite yet. But, organization is.

Those first baby steps are:

1. LEGAL.

What documents, requirements, etc, are required of the government to form a legal union?

Obviously, a certain amount of money may be required to pay fees, filings, etc. I'd like to think that a passing of the hat should be able to raise such funds.

Then we need a name. AAPA?

Somewhere there would be a beginning group of officers, but I would hesitate to name anybody beyond online names.

A dedicated website, with pilot only anonymous forum would be prudent.

2. MISSION STATEMENT.

What would we put into a binding formal document to direct our union? The best way is probably to review other leading union bylaws to formulate our own. What do we hope to achieve with a union.

3. RATIFICATION. A vote by the pilots for adoption of said union and Bylaws.

4. CONTRACT (T&C). Negotiations with management to form a binding collective bargaining agreement. Time lines and ground rules to be adopted for completion of negotiations. Items to include, but not be limited to:

a. Seniority (including provisions / sanctions for staff work)
b. Payments, uniformly and on-time (Emirates pays every pilot the same for the seat they occupy)
c. Rosters (28 day posting, sanctions for non-compliance, premium pays for changes)
d. Business travel in Business Class (Every time these clowns say "Emirates of Africa", we can remind them that Emirates CA's fly FIRST CLASS, and FO's fly BUSINESS CLASS.)
e. Sanctions for lack of company compliance, up to and including strike.

5. VOTE. After adoption of a contract by the leaders of the union of pilots, and the company representatives who are able to legally bind the company into an agreement (part of the ground rules), then a vote to adopt said agreement shall be made by every eligible pilot on the seniority list.

Should the company not be able to agree to a contract in the agreed upon time lines, or ground rules, then the pilots MUST show the company that it means business. The only thing any company understands at this point is a strike.

And this, my dear colleagues, is what will separate the men from the boys. Everything up to this point would have been play time. There will be those of us who will not wish to join us. Collectively, we must use ALL our powers to persuade these colleagues of ours to the majority point of view.

That's my thoughts for now. Time for a beer.