PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qualities of a Good Training Captain
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2010, 14:25
Capt Pit Bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and naturally your opinion doesn't count, because, you don't pay my big bucks salary.
Conversely you don't pay anyones salary here, so if we applied your own values your opinion would not matter to any of us either.

OTOH, the companies that I have worked for, seemed to like my style, which in the end is the only item that matters.
So, whether your training style is actually effective does not matter; it is only important what your employer thinks is happening. Kind of sounding like a bit of a 'yes' man there.

All the latest psycho-babble instructing methods are simply not cost effective in my, nor my companies opinion.
You thing that getting to the bottom of a students misunderstandings is a 'latest psychobabble technique'? I think you are confusing 'cheap' with 'cost effective'.

What worries me about the 'teach them by rote and tell them to STFU' is that the student doesn't understand the reasons behind the methods. You may say 'well who cares as long as they do what I say'. The problem comes 10-20 years down the road when you've retired and your ex-students are now calling the shots. They'll say 'old 411A always used to say XYZ but he didn't really have a good reason for it, he was just an opinionated old arse. We know better, we're not going to do that any more'.

IMHO that is what is happening to this industry; in the rush to cut training time and costs the lessons of the past are simply not being passed on to the younger generations.

pb