PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS Flight Number Callsigns
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2002, 14:51
MIss Behaviour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jungmeister

I can see your point of view however here's my 2c worth:

The issue of aircraft type is always solved by the ATC giving the aircraft type when required, and applying the necessary sep standard anyway. The type is available on electronic and paper strips plus the lable (sic) option.
If the current method of a/c rego continues, you wouldn't have to add to the workload of ATC by pestering them for the type. It's all very well that ATC have strips, labels etc but that doesn't help the pilots.

I don't think that many GA operaters (sic) and certainly no private pilots would actually know the aircraft type from the rego. If you hear QF234 coming your way it can easily be recognised as something biggish.
The majority of GA & RPT pilots (in Darwin anyway) I know do know the aircraft type from the rego, so therefore already have a good idea of where they may be in the upcoming landing sequence.

It depends on one's definition of 'something biggish'. If you were in Sydney & hearing QF234, it could be anything from a Dash 8 up to a 744. However if you heard 'Oscar Juliet xxxx' one could reasonably assume it's a couple of pilots plus a few hundred pax along for the ride!