PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Log Book Summary Formuala
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2010, 03:16
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
I thought you meant excel and access were almost identical on an architecture level

No argument there. In an ideal world we would always use the best tool for the job at hand. Unfortunately, the bean counters always have a meddling view ... and we end-chaps have to figure work arounds to get the job done .. while, at the same time, keeping ourselves nice for the Regulators and auditors. Did I mention that I'm looking forward to Christmas and a couple of weeks where we close the doors ?

As for having a workbook per page of your logbook, you would be surprised. Over the years here I have seen many people offer their excel logbooks in this format.

amazing how folks can be blinkered and try to map one system's protocols across to another instead of following the "horses for courses" thing.

Ive been offering my free excel logbook for a while now.

Tried to download and have a looksee but the system wouldn't co-operate last night. Will try again and see how I go.

Be interesting to see what kind of added capability could be offered by going that route over excel.

I've no doubt that an Access implementation will be more elegant that Excel .. however, one of the problems of being an engineer with a lot of GA design background is that one has been brought up on the "you want to spend a dollar on it ? why can't you find a way to do it for 10c ?" side of the tracks ...

Interestingly, one sees many very simple and low cost solutions which make far more sense than just throwing more money at problems. Some which spring to mind include a few of John B's tricks with the Victa program in long ago days, Neddy N's approach to some of the AirVan testing and our own use of simple long lense video gear to do runway width test work when others were intent on throwing big bucks and fancy electronics at the problem .. to get about the same functional end accuracy.

We should catch up for an ale some time ...