PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2010, 19:45
ChristiaanJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HalloweenJack
thank you for comfirming what i thought Christiaan , that the vulcan is sadly a `unique` example...
Yes and no....
She's not that unique.... there are many vintage and "heritage" aircraft flying in the UK.

But more than anything else, I think the Vulcan is about as far as the Campaign Against Aviation is willing to go in the UK in terms of a "complex aircraft".
With less obstruction, and some more work, I would have thought a Lightning could have flown in the UK.
A Concorde... no way.
- as even teasin` tina is in a better state that SD (no disprepect - XM715 is kept in taxi condition) , and even so , the wonderful team who look after her have said she wont be flying in displays anytime soon (read ever)
I would say... Teasin' Tina is a different case...
Yes, in a better state than 'SD, overall, and again much less complex than Concorde, and more in the category of the Vulcan.

In her case, I would say it's before all a matter of money.
After the Falklands, the Vulcan, in a way, was THE icon among the V-bombers, and the money was raised to return her to the sky (and we know with what difficulties).
Somehow, I can't see that enough money can be found to return a second, less symbolic, V-bomber to flight, however much she's shown us she wants to!
(Yes, I've seen the videos... and I've had the pleasure to meet her in person at Bruntingthorpe a couple of years ago.)

And are you forgetting 'Canopus' ? An even sadder story.

i have read about `SCG` - and yes i have seen your opinion on them elsewhere - they did seem to `big up` the engine testing earlier this year - then went silent , any word on the results?
The "engine testing" was a publicity stunt, where they pretended to do a borescope inspection of one of the engines. In the end they did have a look at two or three of the blades of three LP compressor stages, and proclaimed the engines (note the plural) "were in perfect condition".
The picture below is not a moon crater landscape but a capture from the video published by the museum.

Draw your own conclusions.

CJ