PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2010, 17:53
BlueConcorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bellerophon
I'm not aware of what Haynes may say about Concorde - I don't have a copy of the book and haven't read it - however it is well documented that landings at weights up to 130,000 kgs were permitted on Concorde, provided various conditions were met.

It was a Conditional Procedure called Fuel Saving Landing.

BA did not plan flights to land at 130,000 kgs but the procedure was available for use when required.

In practice it was rarely used, and the occasions on which it was used tended to be following a return to the departure airfield, or a diversion in the early part of the flight, with the aircraft still above the (normal) maximum landing weight, in order to reduce the amount of fuel to be jettisoned.
Nice, thank you Bellorophon for clarification. The books makes it sound like it became something normal.

By the way, I highly recommend this book to everybody, a different point of view, new photos and nice info regarding this bird.

Originally Posted by M2Dude
Hi again. Yes, the Ronivaniemi charters were supersonic) and VERY popular).
Nice!! Do you have any idea of the route? Supersonic over the North and Norwegian Seas then inbound continent? Or Supersonic only after getting to the Baltic Sea?

Nice info regarding BA004! But if a repair was needed, would BA004 take-off anyway to Gatwick or Birmingham? Has it ever arrived a bit late?

Originally Posted by ChristiaanJ
My own question to an aerodynamicist would be :
Looking at the subtle camber of the leading edge, is there any vortex lift at all during subsonic cruise (Mach 0.95+) or is there a fully attached airflow at that speed / angle of attack to obtain the best possible subsonic cruise?
And if so, when does the breakaway first start?
Originally Posted by Jo90
Was there some particular airspeed where the airflow pattern changed markedly?
I always read/heard that above 300 knots the ride became veeeeery smooth, and that below this speed, the vortex became "active". IIRC this is written on Stick & Rudder and/or Calvert's book.

Thank you all, awesome topic!!