PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde engine intake "Thrust"
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2010, 17:46
EXWOK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RJTRT -

Yes, the flight crew had pressure breathing apparatus.

I believe the EROS masks we're all so familiar with were developed for Concorde??? Anyway - that's what we had, with the addition of a couple of supplementary 'pull' straps to ensure the mask remained firmly attached in pressure-breathing mode. The system was automatic - if the pressure altitude was above 42000' you were px breathing, below that you weren't.

Every other year we'd go on a rig during SEP to practice it, and it was really not that big a deal. A bit odd and a bit harder to speak but no issues.

There would have to have been a pretty serious event to the cabin to >42000', mind.

As for uncontained failures, don't forget the Olympus' were in pretty substantial housings - I know of one fairly severe fire which burned for a few minutes, resulting in huge damage inside the nacelle but none out of it.

Wasn't 202's divider robbed to go on AB after the latter had a fairly big failure of an engine? Again - no question of airfram damage outside the cowlings.

In this respect I reckon the Conc was more robust than many conventional designs.