PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where to find the truth about the TSR-2?
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2010, 16:57
Albert Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to find the truth about the TSR-2?
Can anybody direct me to reliable sources for dispassionate discussion of the TSR-2 story? What I have seen so far is hysterical discussion by nonpilot enthusiasts, many of them claiming the aircraft was the victim of the wildest conspiracy theories--British PMs being secret Commies, people being paid off by Kelly Johnson, etc. etc.

Nor have I seen a word written anywhere by an actual, experienced tactical fast-mover pilot. It seems to all be blather by 70-year-old lords or 20-year-old flightsim players...

I'm not just curious, I'm doing research for an article I'll be writing for Aviation History Magazine.
With that attitude we don't need yet another TSR2 article, thank you very much.

Why would an "actual, experienced fast-mover pilot" opinion be any wiser than the "non-pilots" who ordered it, designed it, built it and cut it up?
There has been plenty of "dispassionate discussion" about it. But that is boring to many "aviation writers", who want to rake up the "hysterical discussion", which they think will bring in more readers.

The "truth" will never be entirely known but enough is surely known to show this was just another project, filled with ideas both great and not so great, but which overall, rightly or wrongly, failed to gain the confidence of the people paying for it - the Government of the time. Masses of information is available to anyone who seriously want to put the time in to study it - which you don't appear to want to do.

So why not go write about UFOs or something?