PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nick Xenophon - The most important person in the future of Australian Aviation
Old 19th Sep 2010, 16:40
4dogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, do we just give up?

Folks,

Interesting mixture of positive and negative commentary.

What I find interesting is the connections people make in these sorts of discussions between concepts and motivation. Frankly, I don't really care what motivates the various players in this current episode - I don't care if some are management people or union people or non-pilots or well-rounded cynics! I actually don't care what Nick Xenophon's motivation for this exercise is (although I suspect that he is much maligned by some who do not understand his independence), however I am just pleased that an opportunity may present itself for the law makers to review something that everybody (other than us) heretofore has said is a wonderful system working well.

I would love to get paid more. I would love to have better conditions as well. I would love my children to want to follow me into aviation.

I have absolutely no expectation that this proposed Senate Enquiry will achieve any of those things.

However, I would love to have a vibrant industry, well respected for its intellectual and practical value, that attracted future generations as a desirable and rewarding profession and that invoked a culture of honesty, self-awareness and safely efficient provision of transportation. If this opportunity crystallises and the existing system is subjected to deep scrutiny, then I will be happy regardless of the detailed outcomes. If we do not support that scrutiny to the best of our ability, then we deserve everything that we get.

and Bruce's comment about "other blue collar workers" will become self-fulfilling....

Stay Alive