PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mixing Mogas and Avgas
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2010, 02:32
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
use above 24 deg C is prohibited
Thanks, that's a new one for me, I will adjust my thinking!

I used to fly both an AA1 and AA5, the latter which the owner occasionally fueled with Mogas during the winter. Though I should have familiarized myself with the legallity, I was not asking as hard as I should have. He asked me to ferry it to it's new owner upon it's sale. He told me it had lots of gas, but it did not. So I filled it to the brim with Avgas, on his account.

The new owner and his check pilot ran it out of tht same gas later the next day, and wrecked it. They got out only embarrassed (tough plane).

The seller phoned me in a panic that night, asking what kind of fuel I'd put in... "Full tanks of Avgas, on your account!". "Oh thank goodness, they crashed it today, and I did not want the investigators finding Mogas in it!". My plan to p1ss him off had failed - he was pleased with my fuel choice!

Problem was the new owner had no license, so suddenly the check pilot was the pilot of record (which he had not expected), and guilty of running out of fuel. Thus he was subject to the offense of running out of gas, and violated accordingly.