PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Need Advice
Thread: Need Advice
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2010, 02:06
Smiling_Goat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice

Hi Ppruners,

I need some advice. I started flying lessons last June. I'm now well on my way to getting my PPL. I've dreamed about becoming a Pilot as far back as High School, at least 13 years now.

Here's the problem, I'm starting to regret my decision to quit my job and pursue a career as a Pilot. In fact, I'm almost 100% sure I don't want to be a Pilot anymore. How does that happen? During Ground School, all i could think about was I'm exactly where I should be. Now, I'm genuinely happy when my lesson gets canceled due to close of VFR.

It's not that I have a fear of flying, I don't. It's mostly because I'm just not happy. I thought it could just be a phase and it would go away but it hasn't. And when you're spending the amount of money it takes to learn how to fly, being unhappy about it is just too freaking expensive. I don't want to waste anymore of my money and my parents' hard-earned money into an endeavor that doesn't make me happy. It's just everyone I know now thinks I'm going to be a career Pilot since I've been spouting about it for a long time. There are expectations and now all of a sudden I'm not going to fulfill those anymore.

Here's where I need some advice on--- Do I stick with it and HOPE the feeling of unhappiness goes away while in the meantime spending gobs of cash OR Do I just stop, get something like my old job back, move on with my life and consider this experience a lesson learned, and not worry about not meeting other people's expectations?