PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean Airlines Question????
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2010, 01:25
protect essential

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spent some time at KAL. For me, the interview was straight forward. The sim exactly as per the senario. The commuting contract/schedule/SEL commuter hotel (very high standard) works like clockwork. You get the requested days off every month. The aircraft receive excellent maintenace. You can "hide" your income, which is tax free at least in Korea. The salary competitive with similar positions. All very good things.

BUT...the flying is definitely NOT fun. Typical cockpit camaraderie as you probably know it from previous jobs does not exist (unless you are lucky and are rostered with another foreign pilot {very rare}). I found the work schedule of 18 days in a row very difficult to adapt to (SEL-FRA-SEL followed by SEL-LAX-SEL eg. and repeat). And then there's the issue of lack of relative job security. Potential "land mines" (in depth annual medical by the company, unreasonable check pilots etc...) that could take you out at any time, which have nothing to do with your competence as a pilot or in the case of the medical, your abilitity to exercise your duties as a pilot, both of which involve a high degree of arbitrariness. Then you're on the street and what do you tell your next employer about why you left KAL?? You are on your own there. Your contracting agent nor the designated foreign pilot advisors will be your advocate in the event of issues with the company.

Working and surviving at KAL involves developing an unusual mindset. Not one that I could or wanted to cultivate after having so much fun in this career I chose 36 years ago.

Just some food for thought.