PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A lot of pilots leaving the forums
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2010, 20:31
Contacttower
Fly Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I often read a lot of what is being said on here even if I don't actually post anything. I discovered PPRuNe shortly after completing my PPL in 2006 and I found it a massive help, in fact I learnt more about flying in general and all the ancillary aspects of it from here than I did during my PPL course. It meant that I was no longer at the mercy of the rather variable knowledge of my various instructors and it really opened my eyes to the aviation world out there.

After I passed my PPL no one suggested to me what to do next, the possibility of flying to other countries in different aircraft seemed remote and because most of my instructors were not of a long standing GA background there did not seem to be much help available in that respect. PPRuNe filled that gap and I think accelerated my confidence in flying, making me aware of things that I wasn't before.

The question of why people stop flying is easily answered I think and although the title question of this thread is harder...I assume there is some link. All I'd say is that I'm not sure why experienced pilots are leaving, but I wish they wouldn't.