PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe hand luggage
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2010, 18:51
frequentflyer2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flybe hand luggage

Last Monday Mrs FF and I flew to from BHD to MAN on a Flybe Embraer 195. We had two pieces of hand baggage. These were my cpap bag and a small holdall on wheels which exactly matched the Flybe hand luggage measurements - carefully checked before we set off. It also weighed less than the 10kgs allowed. There was no problem. We boarded. The holdall fitted comfortably in the overhead bin and there was absolutely no quibble from anyone.
We returned on Thursday morning. Once again an Embraer 195. Exactly the same hand luggage. At the gate we were told our small holdall on wheels was "much too big". We pointed out there had been no problem on the outward flight. Again: "It's much too big."
We suggested it corresponded exactly with the measurement requirements and was under the maximum permitted weight. Again we were told it was "much too big."
The holdall went in the hold and we were flown back to Belfast by a very cheerful Captain who at 6.45am had definitely "had her weetabix" as Mrs. FF pointed out after her ecstatic welcome to the flight.
We didn't make any fuss about the holdall but what are a passenger's rights in this situation? Could we have insisted on the holdall being measured? We did wonder initially if perhaps the flight was full but it wasn't and the overhead bins were half empty.
I don't see the point in Flybe advising its passengers of hand luggage dimensions if these are ignored by its ground handling agents.
We checked the measurements carefully because on this occasion we didn't want to have to hang about at luggage carousels but we had to do so at the end of the return flight.