PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tu 154 emergency landing at Izhma (Komi)
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2010, 05:35
AN2 Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I reckon they will need to change 1 and 3 as they probably ingested some material during the landing. Other than that, that runway is plenty long for a departure on an empty TU.

Yea, they are extremely tough birds. I recall one to crash in Dehli, one wing torn off and on it's back and still everyone got out. I concur that probably the fact that they did not evacuate but after a brief assessment of the situation decided to keep everyone on board and sort out the escape paths probably saved a lot of folks from injury. Once they knew there was no leak and no fire, why bother with an evac. They always end up with injuries, certainly if you evac into an overgrowth of this kind.

They probably will clear the path the plane made into the forest, they will need to just to get it back onto the concrete. This should give them plenty of space in case of an abort.

From what I hear from people who've been on the TU, they consider this a very fine performance by the crew. Obviously, the fact that a battery malfunction can lead to a total electrical failure is not quite a nice design feature. One guy told me that there is a work around which is implemented in many but not all Tupolevs, where in case of a battery malfunction they can be isolated so that they will not hamper the rest of the plane's electrics. If so, then I reckon the Russian CAA might consider to make that one a compulsory modification.

Best regards
AN2 Driver