PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nine Dead in Fox Glacier Crash, New Zealand
Old 18th Sep 2010, 01:10
saabsforever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Missing Link

Some thoughts as i feel there is something missing in this sad story:

Yes some jumpers can clown around and there would be room for them all to go to the back for some reason and create a problem for the Pilot. But here we have a professional operation with mature experienced jumpmasters, one of which was a director in the company. These guys would have been simply getting through the day with as little drama as possible.

I do not see overloading as an issue here this aircraft should be quite capable with 8 in the back and have spare capacity. By comparison a 185 will carry 6 and is a much smaller aircraft. Others will know the details I am not familiar with the exact numbers.

If it is just a C of G issue it would be expected to cause an accident such as this with a 'full house'. That is max weight cabin full down to the back.
Standard practice for light aircraft loading would dictate that seating such as it is would be from the front to the back and remember we are not dealing with clowns here.

These converted Fletchers have been around for years now and have done tens of thousands of jump flights. If C of G is so critical there must have been many close calls before on take off and those operating them would have been aware. Especially this Pilot who appears to have been very capable and experienced in this type of flying.

It seems quite proper and logical for the CAA to impose limitations in the meantime given the evidence at the accident site, but this would not imply that C of G is considered the sole cause of this accident.

I think there is some missing part cause to this accident. A control problem could arise from jammed controls, broken control cables or rods etc. Maybe something as simple as a spare seatbelt or other object up front falling down and causing a jam. Fletcher control runs are quite exposed in the cockpit from memory. Jammed or mis set trim sure can cause drama as well. My knowledge of the Fletcher is very limited am just speculating here.

Once the aircraft did pitch to a high nose up attitude then the Jumpers in the back would have been thrown to the back of the cabin if unrestrained.
Then serious C of G problem would most likely prevent control being regained at such low level. The reason for the initial high pitch up may be the key here. I think the pilot and occupants would have done every thing possible to avoid this accident and certainly nothing unresponsible.