PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2010, 00:35
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Blakeley
But these are your thoughts:
<<Assuming that ZD 576 exhibited similar vibration characteristics to the BD trials aircraft it seems to me as a "simple" engineer that the crew were very unlikely to have deliberately flown at some of the claimed speeds >>
I would have thought an engineer of your standing would by now be aware of the improvement in terms of vibration at speed of the HC2s and so I am indeed disappointed that you are disputing some claimed speeds – undermining, effectively, any dist/time analysis.
Oh, and please don't get hung up on “secret missions” - is it not enough at this stage to wonder why a significant piece of equipment has not been brought to the attention of the inquiries to date?
Do you not think any new inquiry should be informed?

Dalek
<<6. At some stage, very late in the flight there was a 25 - 30 kt speed increase. (Cable). This increase must have come very late, or the Average speed would have been higher.
7. Some of this increase must have come from increased power.*
* Not backed by firm evidence, just strong circumstantial. >>
I refer you to Boeing's analysis of the available data (not the simulation) – the only decent effort at such analysis done by a body with authority – it has that the a/c slowed down in terms of airspeed as it approached the landmass but the increased wind there masked this leaving a net no change in groundspeed.