PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A lot of pilots leaving the forums
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2010, 23:27
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
if the engine started and the weather was acceptable, you waved away the chocks and went

Well, except for the fact that chocks are a little too advanced for my aerodrome, have faith, flying in its purest form is still alive!

My other aircraft does not have any avionics whatever, and I rarely bother carrying the portable radio, there's no one I have to, or want to talk to anyway! It looked nice up there today, so I flew it for an hour, including more than a dozen landings on five different surfaces, and enjoyed simple aviation. I stopped at a friend's and took him for a flight.

It's been about 25 years since I flew a plane in the UK, and it did seem a little more concentrated than I'm used to here at home. But I can't help but wonder if some of the effort devoted to posts here, were directed along the proper path toward the appropriate authorities, would things not ease a little for those who feel the restrictions?

When I'm unhappy with the actions of the regulator, I start writing, and attending meetings. I have rarely been dissapointed that the system will not consider what the "little guy" has to say. It does not always go my way, but it always seems at least fair.

When necessary, I fight for the privilage of flying, and I exercise it regularly. I use my aircraft for the commuity good often, and have not ever known an unkind word about it. Within 10 miles of me there are 11 private runways, and one airport. They all seem to have equally good relations with the community as far as I know.

I agree that we need to inspire young people. A part of that inspiration must be to demonstrate that you really have to want something to make it happen. Flying your computer around won't cut it for long. You've got to devote youself to it for real. Which of us long time aviators here has not had to devote themselves for years? We also have to show that we don't just sit back and watch regulation fence us in. We participate in the process, and flex our wings. We go to the airport, and pitch in. We help at the flyins, and give rides if we are able. As my aviator uncle of East Budleigh used to tell me: "Don't break the law, change it!". If people want change, they have to make it happen, not just wait for the other guy - he's waiting for you! Newcomers need to see this in action....

I hope that I can inspire some young people the way I was inspired 40 years ago. I used to bicycle 11 miles to the local airport, just to look for something I could do. My energy was quickly harnessed, and better yet, it was with helicopters. I can think of four active pilots who all started flying because I gave them their first flight. I hope there are others, of whom I am unaware. I'm not done yet....

We need to demonstrate that we, general aviation, are a unified team of people with a common interest, which we welcome newcomers to embrace. The in fighting presents a poor, and fragmented image of us. Would the newcomers here read some of the posts, and think we're a team? Perhaps not! A family who jab from time to time - okay. Venom, I'm not interested...

I invite people onto PPRuNe, with the promise that once they sift through some tomfoolery, there is a wealth of wisdom and experience to be drawn upon here.

By the way IO, I enjoyed your email about your flying the TBM. It took me back to my Cheyenne days! Thanks for thinking of me!