PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - African Av Development
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2010, 18:25
maxrated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Bullcom,

what is the highest priority bang for the buck project you can think of?
I think that a small nuclear device, detonated at the next OAU (Organisation of African Unity) heads of state summit, will do infinitely more to eliminate bad and corrupt governance in Africa than simply giving away free stuff to people who wont appreciate it.

This will in turn promote peace and economic stability throughout the entire region, which will create an environment allowing the developement of normal user funded aviation infrastructures as well as other services and infrastructures that have been allowed to go to hell, since the colonial powers left.

If you had a couple of million USD and could do almost anything in the aviation infrastructure space on the continent of Africa, what would your wish list include?
Ok this is where it gets tricky.

Firstly I think you should know that Africa is actually made up of about 54 countries, give or take a 'coup de tete' or invasion here or there.

So one cannot actually paint the entire continent with the same brush.

Each country or region needs to be evaluated on its own individual needs.

For example Sudan has thousands of small bush runways and only 24 of them have windsocks.

Conversely South Africa, has lots of windsocks and good radar and atc coverage but the only competant CAA commisioner in the history of the country is about to be replaced by a political apointee who knows nothing of matters aeronautical.

In Zimbabwe they have well maintained airfields but no one fly's to them because there is no Avgas and the countries substantial GA fleet are idle in their hangars at Charles Prince airport.

Kenya has a vibrant aviation sector which is being strangled to death by kleptocratic civil aviation authorities, who are supported by well meaning yet out of touch European technocrats from EASA/JAR Ops in Brussels.

Somalia has a massive need for aviation services, thats if the pilots stopped getting shot at every time they flew into there.

Francophone west Africa has some of the worst and most severe thunderstorms and weather on the continent yet most of those countries have no qualified MET forecasters.

See how divergent the aviation problems can be between countries?

I think you have your work cut out for you.

I wish you luck with your endevours, let us know how things are going.

If there is one thing I can guarentee you about this project is that you will be dissilusioned and dissapointed at the end of it all.

Remember TIA. AWA.