PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing estimate 1M pilots & engineers needed in next 20 yrs
Old 17th Sep 2010, 12:31
Mr Pilot 2007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boeing estimate 1M pilots & engineers needed in next 20 yrs
Maybe boeing is trying to promote aviation as a great (in demand) job for the future, just to make sure there is plenty of cheap labour around to fly their planes, thus ensuring their sales dont slow as a result .

If there is a real shortage of experienced pilots, airplane orders will slow.

As someone rightly pointed out, what are the salaries and T & Cs going to be like in the future.

If the bulk of the industry is budget airlines as it is now, then I would never encourage my children to become an airline pilot, with a career of low pay and having to 'BUY' several type ratings during your career, as is the norm now.
Thats the only way to be offered a job now.

Say, after spending $100,000 to obtain a licence to ATPL standard, budget on 'buying' another three endorsements during your career. That may cost another $100,000-$150,000.

Are there any other professions that require as much additional $$$ to forward their career, change employers or find another job after redundancy. Most spend big bucks obtaining their Quals, then very little outlay for the remainder of their career. Someone correct me if im wrong.

There will always be individuals who will want to be airline pilots no matter what the cost, but IMHO they must carefully consider the money they will be expected to spend not only obtaining their initial qualifications, but also what other endorsements they will have to cough up for to continue their career, then factor in their forecast income.

Ridiculous

Last edited by Mr Pilot 2007; 17th Sep 2010 at 12:51.