PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A lot of pilots leaving the forums
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2010, 12:15
AN2 Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IO540,

I have to say that I find pprune still one of the most valuable forums around and I spend quite a lot of my online time reading here and not only this section. I find that this here section is a bit strong on the UK side, but that is not a problem for me. Reading here and also the support if you do ask a question is extremely helpful.

On the topic of why GA declines, there are many theories. All right and wrong. I reckon however, there is a fundamental change in perception of aviation per se and GA in particular, which has happened over the last few years and which has demystified flying as a almost metaphysical experience for the normal Joe Public out there. Having done that, it has discouraged and in many instances actively kept folks from pursuing the dream because they feel peer pressure from left/green activists who today often are regarded more of the role models as an airliner captain was 20 years ago.

A bit off track but having been working for one of the classic airlines which has disappeared, with the demise of people like Pan Am, Swissair and other seemingly unthinkables, as well as the constant and persistent demontage of the image of an airline pilot from a hero worshiped entity to a bus driver today by the media and the opponents of anything running on gasoline has had a tremendous impact. Many youngsters who were plane nuts in the old days today find themselfs attacked from all fronts if they wish to pursue their dream. Rather than being supported as one of the most desirable professions it has become a too ordinary one for people to care.

I reckon this has had a tremendous impact on youngsters wishing to go the whole way. Likewise, GA is today regarded by a large majority of Joe Publics as an expensive playboy pasttime. With this, untrue as it is, comes envy and with envy come anti airport leagues, anti noise protest and murder threats over the net and sometimes personal if one engages in the condemmable habit of moving fuel to noise converters around the countryside. Unlike before, when people looked up in fascination at a passing plane, many look up in anger today.

Pre the Internet and PC age, young kids had their dreams based on books and fantasy. We built airplane models and looked at them or "flew" them of the kitchen table. Now, kids run comprehensive and well developed flight simulations on their personal computers. Quite some reach an astonishing degree of knowledge and motivation doing this and are feverish in waiting for the first time they can go to an airport and have a go at the real thing. Having bin in that particular branch of aviation for over 20 years now as a sideline of work and also because I wanted to pass on knowledge to the youngsters, I know very well what is out there. And I get 17-18 year olds who finally scrape together the money for a flying lesson coming back and throwing the towel the very day they have been waiting for. They get confronted with a £17-20k budget needed to get a PPL, they get often enough laughed out of the instruction room at the mention of how they got to be motivated, if not shouted down not least in forums right here, where the word "simmer" is nothing better than words which need censoring not to fall off. IMHO there are far too many airport kings and self appointed experts around who will, instead of picking up where these kids started and show them how to convert their skills and knowledge to the "real" thing, will laugh and shout them out of the office.

Cost and the generally negative outlook is another thing why many people today rather book another all inclusive holiday than to take flying lessons. Some of this also is present here. If you hear how professional pilots in this PPRUNE forum often enough talk about their profession, then does anyone wonder why on earth people won't bother to consider this job? I guess the muttering was the same before the Internet, but it was internal and often good natured banter. However, if I read people in here who openly state they hate their jobs, then who wonders why someone might pick another career?

In GA, the same kind of stuff can be seen as well. We had a discussion in our local forum the other day about an airport which is threatened by closure and a good 60% of the participants would resign and say well, that is life why bother. They are tired of fighting and they stop and do other things where they don't hear every time they mention what they do that they are egoist playboys with too much money.

I took up flying again after a 7 year break last fall and I am damn glad I did. But I also have noted the changes. It's a different world now. There are ups and downs, but mostly downs and most of them in terms of a huge inflation. Flying is becoming the rich kid playboy sport many take it for these days, because politicians think so and they decide in the long rund what we need to pay for EASA part M, part whatsoever and hugely increased training costs.

I guess what we can do to counter this is to go back to our roots in terms of being ambassadors of aviation, every single one of us. Take kids for rides, take friends, convince them that it's not a "daring circus act" but an every day event a darn side less dangerous than riding a bike. And for heavens sake get off the high horse and smash the door into the faces of the computer kids of all ages who knock on flight school doors or try their luck in forums. Of course we need to tell them if they are wrong on something but that can be done without telling them to f.-. o--- and go back to play computers. You know what, they might just do that. Of my flock which I personally know over the last 15 years or so who have started with flight simulation, at least 20-30 of them fly today for real. One is a 747 skipper, several others fly in orange and other jets around Europe. And several have ppl's and enjoy life in the Alps.

As long as we are civil to each other, as the huge majority of folks here are, as long as we take newbies seriously and kindly, we'll get more quality posters back here. And we might get some more to fly.

Best regards
AN2 Driver.