PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - School options at Moorabbin
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2010, 10:12
RogerRamjet01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YMMB bashing

This whole YMMB-bashing is rubbish, to be honest.

There are a lot of student pilots who get their license at MB. Some of them will be great pilots, some will be crap. Anyone who thinks that certain schools or aerodromes have a monopoly on teaching good or bad future pilots is kidding themselves and, judging by the nonsense posted up here, others.

The basic learning framework is set by the school, of course. Some learning frameworks are better than others - it is true. However far more of the capability of the pilot that comes out depends on determination, hard work of the individual concerned and their relationship with their instructor.

I understand that there are concerns about the number of inexperienced instructors at the large city aerodromes. So to the original poster I would reiterate what many have already said: find yourself a good instructor (one that you get along with, who will give you time, inspire you to learn more), moreso than a 'good school', and then throw yourself into your training with passion and determination.

I learnt at moorabbin as well as some time at a small country flying school; I can think of several benefits the training at MB gave me particularly in the area of situational awareness and traffic lookout in the circuit.