PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Link to commercial site removed"
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2002, 06:22
BRL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, first off, i have just returned from a pretty awfull night shift so please forgive the spelling and grammar mistakes.

As far as the 'advertising' thing goes, there are no links to 'commercial' web-sites as we all should know. Commercial means a site that intends to make money by offering a service to you.
There have been quite a few of these links recently, in fact, the last week has seen me deleting loads of them compared to say one or two a month. The sudden increase in deletions is simply because there have been an increase in 'links' in threads, thats all there is too it really, and because of that it seems i am being 'heavy handed' as some say when really its all i have been doing all along but not as many as the last week in one go.

I also tend to leave the link in the thread for a day or two so the poster gets to see what he wants and then i delete it. A case of this is one where i deleted the link leading to 'X' flying school at a certain airfield. What i don't want is fred bloggs next door running ' Y ' flying school emailing me saying 'X' school has a free plug. Also, in the same vein as this is 'Z' flying school who legaly advertise on this site complaining that these sites are getting free advertising while they have to pay. It sounds a bit raw but its what really happens here. I can copy the emails here if you really want to see them.

Englishal, the 'Mile-High' thread was deleted because it could have easily been posted on the end of the one thats running now or even moved to Jet blast.

At the end of the day, a simple search would eradicate some questions that come up with the answer containing links and also an e-mail or a Private Message containg a 'link' would be just as effective too.

Saying that, i am sure some of you disagree with what i have said but as someone else has said earlier, its a fine line and where do you draw it. I am off to bed now. I hope i don't have to wake up later to more stick as i feel i have explained the situation to you quite well. If you really, really do have a gripe about this even now, then please e-mail me and i will explain the situation at even greater lengh. I hope this has made sense...

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz