PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The danger of the F/O calling STOP before V1
Old 17th Sep 2010, 06:56
FE Hoppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should have been clearer judging by the above remark. Yes - the pre-flight briefing on the subject of tyre burst ramifications was discussed carefully.

A couple of accident reports that covered tyre burst events was given to the "students" to read the day before the sim trip.

The FCTM coverage of below and above 80 knots reject policy was discussed.

In the simulator the students were told that around 20 knots below V1 that they would get a tyre failure of the left outboard tyre and could expect a slight pull to the left and lots of airframe vibration.

It was a training exercise not a testing exercise and they knew it. If with all that preparation and knowledge of exactly what was going to happen, I believe that most people would accept the instructor could not do much more to help the students learn?
Very thorough indeed but I guess this was the first practical demonstration and they got it wrong. Not the first time that’s happened and certainly in itself not something to worry about. Repetition would soon fix both the misuse of the stop call and the incorrect response.
My real concern would be the impact of them reading your comments on here as I'm pretty sure they would recognise the scenario. As a professional instructor I wouldn't feel it appropriate to post specifics on an open forum. But that might just be me being overly sensitive!