PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS now asking for A $30,000 Bond
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2002, 03:27
Super G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Bond

Russell,

Thanks for your post. I couldn’t agree more. I too can’t see a problem with being subject to the bond. If you don’t know what you’re getting yourself in for when you join QF then you really only have one person to blame for being so uninformed. If you join QF (or any organisation) and subsequently find that the job makes you unhappy or is detrimental to your family/social/financial situation then be true to yourself and your principles and leave. Do not be fooled by some sense of false loyalty to your employer, they would probably cut you lose as soon as the commercial circumstances dictated that was necessary. As they have a corporate responsibility to do.

Remember always that the company does not exist for the benefit of the employees. They don’t maintain a corporate presence to make you rich, fulfill your dreams, make you a better person, help your chances with the opposite (or same) sex, or for that matter provide for your retirement, although you may use your employer as a means toward these ends. Qantas and all public and private companies exist to make profit for the shareholders so unless as an employee of QF you have a shed load of shares and therefore voting rights at the AGM unfortunately your opinion as an employee will remain a very small voice.

As far as the bond goes, I hope to succeed in the ‘draft’ for this years cadet program and I know for sure that if, during the interview, the nice recruitment folk ask me if I mind being subject to a bond, I shall reply “Will that be cash or cheque!”. I really consider it a very small price to pay to continue to do something that I love so much and gain a great deal of personal satisfaction and professional pride from.