PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Setting QNH/Altimeter after GPS?
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2010, 20:59
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As we continue to see progression into magenta lines, GPS for navigation in all counts, and increasing sophistication in the cockpit, we continue to see a degradation in the skills of the pilot body at large. Increasingly I note that without a magenta line to follow on a display, some pilots couldn't find their backside with both hands, and without automation, some are completely lost.
I know, but it has been done a million times before. Things change. People cant read maps these days because they have a sat nav. Yachties follow green lines because they have no idea how a sextant works and those that do have no idea how to read the stars. Without boasting I reckon I could do a reasonable job of getting you across the pond with nothing more than a sextant. In fact it is still kind of fun just like the navigation competitions we do here but skills change. Garmin and Avidyne both tell you if the PFD and MFD fail the correct action is to land as soon as possible. The aircraft is not going to stop flying, the chart on your lap isnt going to burst into flames, but hey, call AT, ask for vectors to the nearest, and land.

Fact is it takes a lot of time and experience to develop the situational awareness to keep yourself out of trouble in IMC when the pressure is on. How many high time professional pilots have paid the price? Fact is with the scenery painted on a 12 inch MFD life has just got a whole lot safer for the pilot and when it fails because he knows he is blind he is going to call for help. There is many a pilot flying on conventional instruments who at some point realises they may have lost the plot, but makes the mistake of blundering on.

Times change. Inevitably the older we get the less we like change and the harder we find it to adapt - but I dont yet wish we could turn the clock back.