PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The danger of the F/O calling STOP before V1
Old 16th Sep 2010, 20:19
reivilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SNS3Guppy
We will consider rejecting the takeoff for any problem under 80 knots. Between 80 knots and V1 we will reject only for engine fire, failure, or loss of directional control, an outward opening door, or anything which brings the ability of the airplane to fly into question.
Interesting. Could you explain why you don't reject for a cargo fire warning, or cockpit full of smoke? But you will reject for an 'outward opening door' ?

In my current company the decision to reject lies only with the captain. Any failure will be announced, captain will decide and either call 'Reject' or 'Go' (and assume control in case of reject).
> 80kts we will only reject for: engine failure, ANY fire, aircraft unsafe/unable to fly or predictive windshear warning (not windshear caution).

In my previous company, where I was type rated, first officers were also trained to decide and perform a rejected takeoff. If F/O was the PF, he would be PF untill airplane stopped, thereafter change to Capt/F/O area's of responsibility. Worked fine that way and in my opinion prepares the pilot in a better way for his transition to the left seat.