PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 172 Vs PA-28
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2010, 13:33
the dean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done Dougie. Congratulations.

I have spent many years and many thousands of hours instructing in both.

I would say it matters little. you will want to try them both. they really don't vary a great deal but its more that there are Cessna people (the view down is better ) and there are Piper people ( the general skyward view is better). It really does'nt matter a great deal in the end, just a matter of choice. Try both over time and find out which you like.

Personally , like you, i learned in a 150 (well in fact before that my basic training was in a tail dragger Citabria...so a high winger), i have always preferred Cessna but for no real valid reason (if anything the cabin is possibly a little wider on the PA28 but i am subject to measurement correction on that).....

In fact, its not really a matter of Cessna =v= Piper but more a matter of whether you like high wingers or low wingers...as they handle a little differently in ground effect on departure and arrival.

As they handle a lot alike, i would try the 172 first after flying the 150. it is considerably heavier in stick forces (especially elevator, so trim is much more important than in the 150)....but just a bigger animal than the 150, and then when you are comfortable with that, try the PA28.

Go on from there....safe flying....

Gear up....