PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help! Son wants to be a pilot.
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2010, 12:19
drumaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, thanks to all of you for your valuable contributions: to clear up a few things, I am the father and found this website in pilot magazine whilst looking for more material. The son has done much of his own research but natually reports his results back to us with rose coloured spectacles, hence my own research for confirmation.

We are not a rich family [a career in UK military gurantees that!] but through house equity we can fund the 60k without much lifestyle change but only if all the ducks line up in a row. It seems still not to be enough given that he may also have to fund a type rating to even get a job with a budget airline.

From all your combined great advice and experience, the thing that does concern me the most is the post training gamble on getting a job in aviation. He is a good kid who is actually deserving of the support we can offer him but I don't want to set him up to fail at the first fence ie the system as it is, so we [the family] will all read this thread today before we sit down for a discussion later.

Thanks again for all your invaluable help!
Brian Short