PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2010, 08:29
Landroger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Such is the way with machinery.

The thing about Concorde was the more that she flew, the happier she was, and less likely to catch a cold.
I would venture to suggest Dude, that what you describe pretty much holds true with any complex system. While I hesitate to anthropomorphise such systems, I know from my own experience with MRI/CT systems that the hard worked ones are the most reliable.

Indeed, the ones that are worked way beyond what is 'reasonable' - and some are truly 'hammered' - tend to break down more than the 'hard worked'. At the other end of the scale, the lightly or intermittently used systems definitely break down more than the 'hard worked' norm. And don't leave a system unused for any length of time - a week or so will do it - and don't even think about turning it off at the A1 breaker!

While we are at it, there is also the 'sympathetic brain waves' syndrome, a theory a much missed, late engineer friend of mine in the past had. As the amount of current required to consider a junction 'switched' went down and down, the closer it got to the amount of current/ion exchange necessary to 'fire' brain synapses. Stay with me - I more than half believed this!

Neil theorised that as the users - radiographers - got more stressed by patients, doctors and life in general, the more their synapses transmitted some sort of negative signal to the equipment - and it broke down. When I, or one of my engineer colleagues arrived on site, our more sympathetic 'engineer vibe' synapses did what our hands would have done and 'fixed it'. As a result, we rarely ever saw evidence of the weirder problems the user reported.

So, while Concorde clearly 'enjoyed' doing her job, did she respond to your obviously sympathetic synapses?

Roger.