PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 15th Sep 2010, 21:28
Colonel White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a slightly different note. Anyone heard if the Walsh and Woodley show got off the ground. I thought that they were supposed to be holding talks in Manchester this week. Been awfully quiet. What are the odds that Tony Woodley does a deal with Willie as per last time and kicks BASSA into accepting it ? In reality, he has nothing to lose by such a move. He retires next year and the incoming General Secretary designate can have a clean slate to start with. The wild and wacky squad at BASSA are in disarray with sundry personnel now out of the picture. If Tony goes back and says 'Listen chaps and chapesses, this is the best deal you are going to get' and recommends acceptance, I reckon he'll get the rank and file support. Oh sure, there will be a bunch who are not happy with what is being offered, but that will always be the case. If he can get the silent majority, the folk who didn't vote in the consultative ballot, to support him, he's home and dry.

My guess is he wants to secure a deal before the appeal hearing as if Unite lost that (and I reckon there is chance that will be the case) they would be in an even poorer negotiating position,