PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Regulatory Reform Program will drift along forever
Old 15th Sep 2010, 21:16
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
In the good old days (way back in the 60's), CASA or DCA as it was then known, was a respected organisation. Examiners were exactly that. Ex- airline or military pilots. None of this cop-out getting your licence test done by the school that had taken your money and wanted your repeat business - you did it with the man from the Department. On the flight test nothing much got past them. Every now and then they would rock up with scales in hand, pull a ramp check concentrating on loading, fuelling and general condition of the aeroplane. The airworthiness guys were of similar ilk, descending on workshops to make sure all the lockwire was done up etc. Good, practical stuff. Woe betide you or the boss if they found something seriously wrong, but minor infractions were dealt with on the spot by a reading of the riot act.
Now we have all sorts of tertiary-qualified geek-types who relish in the 'desk-top audit'. What a crock. So the ops manual index does not perfectly match the contents? This is a huge deal, so CASA issues a non-compliance notice. To make your operation so much safer, so there.... One auditor once gave me a huge spray because the ops manual I had submitted did not have a whole section dedicated to stating that English was our official language and showing how the company would ensure proficiency of all staff in reading, writing and understanding that language.
Similar mentality now requires 300 page-thick instruction manuals with every electric food blender or toaster sold. Written in 10 languages, these tomes all contain standardized dire warnings not to stick your fingers in the gubbins, but not much else of any practical use. I have one of these manuals with my motorbike which is capable of 200 kmh. It tells me in larged boxed print not to ride it too fast because it could result in injury (they don't mention death or speeding tickets - maybe I need to update them on the other possible consequences?), but nowhere does it tell me the torques of one single critical nut or bolt. Try shearing an axle bolt, boys and girls....
This is the mentality of people entrusted with our country's aviation regulation.