PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "No - really - I wasn't chopped - honestly!"
Old 15th Sep 2010, 19:13
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
beags, that is mighty funny for an old git - now do tell. When Star Wars was released back in 77 did you get an OAP discount?
Cheeky sod - the large, hairy orange creature was a good squadron mate of mine - now flying airliners in the Orient.

Actually, I have far better memories of 1977 than 'Star Wars'. After Aircrew Reselection interviews at Biggin, I asked for a holding slot on the unit rather than lingering around the OM like a bad smell. Which was quite fun. Playing blunties was rather enjoyable at times, plus the unit permanent staff were a cheerful bunch, unlike some of the OASC miseries.

One happy day I was told that I'd been reselected to Vulcans and that this would be preceded by a short refresher course on the JP at Leeming. So, on Boat Race day, I packed all my worldly possessions into the car (again - but the MG Midget I'd had at whilst at Wittering on 58 Sqn had been replaced by a Fiat 128SL coupe by then) and set off across London for the A1.

SORF Leeming was huge fun; top banter from various Wg Cdrs refreshing before taking up Sqn Cdr slots and much rushing about Yorkshire at nought foot six! Bugger all 'lead in' for the Tin Triangle, but epic fun! A few weeks later it was back down the A1 to Sunny Scampton (in a little more comfort as the Fiat 128SL Coupe had been replaced by an Opel Manta Berlinetta) - and into the rather dour Officers Mess. A few weeks later I popped into the bar for a quick pre-prandial beer and fell into conversation with a Plt Off navigator, who told me that he and his 2 chums were looking for a 4th to share a house. All thoughts of dinner forgotten, we drove to his place and the 4 of us were soon in the local pub. Next day some paperwork, quickly signed by the boss, then I moved out over the Easter weekend.

Next followed 2 of the best years of my undistinguished RAF career! So thank you to the staff of the Buccaneer OCU for having chopped me, releasing me to the extremely enjoyable lifestyle of a late-1970s Vulcan pilot!

Now godfather to said Plt Off navigator's son!