PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help! Son wants to be a pilot.
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2010, 18:45
stevop21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would think twice before spending that amount of money... Does he have a backup plan if everything goes wrong? Also I would be asking myself 'If my 18 year old son is making mummy do the research for him, is he really ready for an airline pilot career?' Sorry if it seemed rude but it was a thought that occured to me...

I would see if he can get a PPL, there are a few scholarships/bursaries around also as someone else said on here if he could hang around at the local airfield loading/cleaning planes etc... This would prove very useful as contacts in the aviation industry are very important. Other FTOs (flight schools) for his CPL include, FTE Jerez, CTC, PTC Ireland, OAA. Just to name a few and there will be a lot in other countries. I would recommend doing a lot of research as to what happens afterwards his course has complete. E.g will he be required to self fund a typerating, in exchange for some ****ty contract? Lots of threads on these forums about this

I would recommend visiting the 'Flyer Exhibiton' at Heathrow Airport on the 6th November where schools will be exhibiting and you can attend talks about career choices. It is an very informative event EXHIBITIONS

As for the CPL a thing certainly worth giving a shot is the Cathay Pacific cadet scheme. Very fierce competition but what has he got to lose by applying? Cathay Pacific - Careers : Careers Home

A forum thread about it here at pprune http://www.pprune.org/fragrant-harbo...ml#post5931120

Good luck!