PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help! Son wants to be a pilot.
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2010, 17:54
drumaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I have just registered on this forum to get some advice for my 18 year old son who also wants to go into commercial aviation.I think this thread seems to cover most of my questions and concerns and has been helpful.

To date he has passed the pilot assesment at Cabair and Bucks Uni but the degree course [atpl and a degree in aviation] has been pulled for some reason, so that leaves the integrated route. Cabair are currently saying this is the only route for the serious pilot as airlines are only hiring from intergrated courses...but don't they also do modular at their Bournemouth site? Should we also be looking at modular training and would the combined degree/atpl course be of much use to enhance a cv for job application?

He has a medical at Gatwick booked soon but only a handful of flight hours and none towards a PPl.

As a family we have agreed a 'loan' for the £60,000 to get him started but reading your posts has made me think twice..
1. mainly about his young age
2. making this too easy for him,
3. the pitfalls of job prospects post training
4. and so far we have only really been in touch with Cabair. who else are the main reputable player we should be considering? [don't want to start a mine is better than yours argument here !]

Any comments gratefully received because we have some big family discussions ahead and some decisions to make!