PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "No - really - I wasn't chopped - honestly!"
Old 15th Sep 2010, 16:46
airborne_artist
Red On, Green On

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Self-suspensions are equally rare
I was that aviator. About half-way through BFT(H) on 705 at Culdrose I decided I'd gone far enough. I didn't really like the donkey being turned off in a helo - there's little enough keeping the dammed thing flying without removing the power-source, but I was a pretty crap baby officer, in all reality, with far too little life experience having gone from boarding school to Dartmouth with only eight months in between.

It cost me £350 to get out. I tried asking to be re-streamed as an Hydrographer, but they insisted I re-did all/some of BRNC, and I wouldn't have it.

It wasn't a totally negative experience of life in uniform. Less than 18 months later I was a badged part-time Hooligan, and thus became (I think) the first BRNC grad to wear a pair of Stirling's wings. Two hundred and seventy-three started my Selection and nine passed

On much reflection I was too immature at nineteen/twenty for what I had chosen. If I'd done things the other way about, and headed for the RN after a few years in a beige beret I reckon I'd have hacked it more easily.

I wasn't a bad aviator - my last trip was with Trevor L******d (then a trapper) and he was good enough to give me an A- for the ride, but I just wasn't enough of an adult at the time for all that went with it.