PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 15th Sep 2010, 16:05
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Spuk, et al, I just dug out my RCAF 5BX exercise plans. It has a graduated series of exercise with a number of charts. Between ages of 20-29 it is recommended that 2 days is spent at each level. Would be applicants for aircrew would be expected to achieve the required level for in about 4 months. There are 5 levels in a chart and aircrew under 25 should attain Chart 5 level B+. However if you have trouble at any level then you should remain at that level until you can easily move up to the next level.

This plan has been around for 60 years but bears a close similarity to what is required for the RAF Fitness tests.

So, what is the maintenance exercise regime for young aircrew?

The first exercise lasts for 2 minutes and execises 2-4 follow on immediately and take one minute each. Exercise 5 lasts 6 minutes and the whole should take only 11 minutes.

Exercise 1 is a warm up.
Chart 5 level B+

It starts with 28 reps of stretching, touching the outside the left foot, between the feet and press once, outside the right foot, swing up, circle bend backwards and repeat, reverse after 14.

exercise 2 is a sit up with your arms behind your head, touch your right elbow to left knee and reverse each rep - 36 in a minute.

exercise 3 is lying face down, full length, raise arms and raise legs, thighs should come completely off the floor. 47 reps.

exercise 4, press ups, claping your hands in each rep, 40 in a minute.

exercise 5 may be a stationary run for 6 minutes. Knees waist high, with 10 semi-spread eagle jumps every 75 steps (one step every left foot) 465 which therefore includes 60 jumps.

An alternative was a one mile run in under 6 min 12 sec.

Warning:
Things change - the current fitness industry has labeled some of the exercises unsafe

http://gregsadetsky.com/_files/5bx-plan.pdf