PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mathemtics.
Thread: Mathemtics.
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2010, 15:19
welliewanger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As the previous poster mentioned, the maths we do while flying is quite simple.
BUT
You really need to have the mental agility to do said simple maths while thinking about a dozen other things. Each separate element of flying is quite simple, but when you put them all together it gets tricky.
The best training I can recommend for real world flying is just general everyday mental arithmetic. Examples:

- Driving to work at 30mph and it's 23 miles, what time will I get there?
- Dinner cost $36.92 for three of us. How much is that each?
- The bank is offering 6% saving rate. If I save $6,000 for three years, how much will I get back?

There's loads of oportunities to sharpen up. The above were easy to do when sitting at a computer with nothing else to do. But what when you're also talking to ATC while reading an approach chart? If you can do the sort of calculations above while having a conversation, then maths while flying will be easy.

HOWEVER
The maths during the initial training (for EASA / JAR and probably for Oz too, not so much for FAA) is much more mind boggling. I did maths up to university level. I'd say that it's not much more difficult than GCSE (English exams at 16) but A-level (exams at 18) maths would be a very good foundation.

On another matter, why are you choosing to do the American license? I'd have thought the Aussie one would be more useful to you.