PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot arrested in EHAM.
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2010, 14:50
flyburg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SOULLIMBO

Amsterdam is a hot-spot for drunken colleagues so it seems...

I remember that earlier in July 2009 a KLM 777 captain was fired because he drank at least 12 bottles of beer less than 12 hours before a flight to Dar Es Salaam and was caught by KLM security just before take off. They measured a substantial amount of alcohol (0,99 promille). He was subsequently fired by KLM but quite easily managed to turn that around in the Haarlem court of justice. His contract was not very explicit on consequences of such an act and that worked in his favour. The guy is flying again for KLM with a promise he'd never drink alcohol during his years of active duty.....

All in all passengers suffer as they're lives are being being put at risk, so why not make it explicit in the contract. I love a drink but to me these acts are criminal (not to forget sloppy from KLM points-of-view). Only listen to all of us when some dronken bastard caused a drink-drive accident and killed an innocent person. Let's not analyze this too much but simply condemn it.
Wow, how extremely off topic, moodmaking and inaccurate!!

I don't know why I bother but I feel un overwhelming urge to respond to that nonsense post. he topic is about a Delta guy but you make it into a KLM deal

First, if you do a search you'll see a lot of these incidents. LHR springs to mind in the not to recent past (united and NW I believe) and just last month a UPS guy got caught at WAW. So these incidents are not limited to AMS.

Second, the guy at KLM. KLM has very clear language in their CAO (CLA) however they still have to comply with labour law. In this particular incident you mention the guy was indeed able to overturn his firing(I don't know on which grounds). However KLM offered him a substantial cash amount to leave on his own account, which he took.

If you have such an insight perspective, you should also mention that KLPD had a random alcohol test just last month and off all the guys checked none were found to be intoxicated. Also, when it comes to KLM's "sloppy policy" mention the MAD ( medicine, alcohol and drugs) campagn.

I guess it's more fun though to come on this board and generalize and pretend you know something others don't and blast an airline which you obviously have an axe to grind with!!

Being intoxicated while flying is flat out wrong, however, we as pilots are a mirror image of society. There will always be guys that have a problem but also guys that have a case of bad judgement! we are just humans after all!

In almost all cases the pilots involved are fired, try and mirror that on society!

Btw thanks for the moderator into making this a real quote, uhh how do I do this myself??

Last edited by flyburg; 15th Sep 2010 at 18:01.