PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where's the stop?
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2010, 13:18
ConstantFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In these days of point-to-point loco and alliance hub operations, it seems that scheduled services with a stop en route are fewer and farther between. There are, though, still several places where one can indulge a love of multiple stops, if you so wish, such as Norway, Argentina and West Africa. And indeed, many of the big legacy carriers do combine some medium and longer-haul services for a couple of destinations. I suppose this is particularly convenient when serving places with short runways that would not themselves support long-haul flights, such as some Caribbean islands. I remember getting a strange look when booking a Southwest flight across the USA for choosing a service with three stops en route instead of a non-stop flight. And the Loganair inter-island service in Orkney is still very much on my 'to do' list. I think Aer Lingus still stops at Shannon on its Dublin-Boston flights too. KLM has, of course, a lot of experience in multi-stop flights: I think it's original Amsterdam-Batavia (Indonesia) services had about 20 stops in the 1930s and took 12 days.

See picture of en route stops at http://www.vrcurassow.com/2dvrc/maps/klmoost.jpg

Last edited by ConstantFlyer; 15th Sep 2010 at 13:43.