PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "No - really - I wasn't chopped - honestly!"
Old 15th Sep 2010, 05:30
Captain Sand Dune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The word 'Chopped' itself sums up the flying training system.
The word "litigation" sums up flying training in the ADF pretty well today.

During my time at RAF Heany in S. Rhodesia, a fellow student had just completed a NIGHT cross country exercise with his instructor. They flew to points A,B, & C & then returned to base. Another 3 different turning points were given to the student & he was told to go off again - SOLO this time - & call on the radio when over each turning point. His radio calls were received on time by the control tower. Next morning the overnight local police security patrol reported that a Harvard aircraft had been noticed that had its engine running - & with all its lights off in a remote corner of the (grass) airfield during the night, for about an hour ?? - Very unusual ?? It hadnt been noticed by Air Traffic Control that he hadnt actually taken off !! He had made his radio calls on time - but he didnt even leave the ground !!. He said the trip went well to his instructor. Scared of flying SOLO at night. Suspended immediately.

Sounds like the PNG students at Point Cook (before some egotistical senior officer abandoned it!).
Apparently one of them launched on his solo medium level navex and orbitted behind a range of hills (You Yangs, SW of Melbourne) giving position reports. I think he got discovered by a staff shepherd aircraft.