PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How should i spend my money?
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2010, 22:19
laakdown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How should i spend my money?

So this is my deal and would like some advice. Having worked for the last 3 years i managed to save 60k to invest in becoming a pilot as well as getting my PPL and am currently at OAA doing my ATPLs which i will finish here in March, having cost me about 10k (a waste compared to distance leanring i know but wouldnt have been able to work doing DL)
My intention was to do my CPL/ME/IR + MCC here at oxford with the hope i could get a job afterwards without paying ****loads more, but now that im here a) i doubt those jobs will be around by the end of 2011 and b) it seems that doing these rating in oxford will cost me 18-20k more than doing them at a local flying club. A few instructors here have said its good to do all your training in one place and oxford will put your cv forward to their 'contacts' but assuming for a moment that isnt bs it still doesnt seem worth the extra money.

So what should i do to make myself as employable as possible? Go the local flying club route then what? Try to do a type rating course with ryanair, easyjet or airasia? It seems if i invested the money in becoming a FI or even bought a small plane and flew it until i had 1000 hours PIC i cant see what companies would consider me and then id just be wishing i went the ryanair route
I guess im lucky i wont have lots of debt but still dont know what to do, any advice would be great TY