PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2010, 20:16
CptnJoao

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a 25 year old unemployed commercial pilot. I don't blame the older Pilots for the lack of jobs, but a failed economic system worldwide. With that being said, I do think that some, not all older pilots tend to cling on well past the "right time" to give it up. And if you put yourself in their shoes, you would probably do the same. Retirement should be brought on by a lack of medical aptitude. However, with all of this talk of experience, How did these "old" pilots get their experience? Probably by being in the right seat. An opportunity I have yet to have. So, for the sake of the next generation of pilots and in a way, for the future of aviation, a reasonable mandatory retirement age (65 or less) should be in effect. Giving pilots an extra 5 years of work whilst allowing younger pilots to be fed into the ranks so they can absorb and learn from the out going pilots. So if you older gentleman can pass on some of your experience/knowledge to younger f/o's and retire in time to actually enjoy retirement. I would appreciate it!